Shooting in Recording Studio.

12 years 6 months ago #184533 by Jayyyyyyy
Has anyone had any experience shooting 'live' in a sound recording studio? I have a job coming up to do such a thing with the artist 'in action'.
Just wondering what the norm is for shooting in a studio? through the glass? no flash etc..

The last thing I'd want to do is mess up a recording, which wastes their studio time.

I'll resort to no flash, high ISO, and fast glass through the window if i have to but it's less than ideal.

12 years 6 months ago #184535 by Tammyluvshorses
You can shoot on the live floor with the artist, but don't do it while the tape is rolling. Just get some shots before they start recording then be VERY quiet or just leave. Ask the producer when a good time to take some shots.

As far as while the recording is taking place. I would stick to a tripod and no flash.

12 years 6 months ago #184539 by Jayyyyyyy
Thanks. Yeah i guess i'm just looking for some insight into the operations. Good idea though, I'll try get most shots when they're not recording.. I'm just not sure how much of the time they'd spend not recording?.. no idea how these things work!.

I just like to be as prepared as possible.

12 years 6 months ago #184542 by gamer
What is stopping you from taking 20 minutes to setup some off camera flashes, and take 20-30 shots as they are warming up with a non-critical piece? Then the artist is free to do what they want without interruption!

Your job is to be non-intrusive, but STILL get the shot. If you can do this... great. If you cannot... you have some talking with the artist to make sure THEY are ok with what you are about to do. No matter what, do NOT shoot inside the studio while they are recording, that's a HUGE no-no. Shooting through glass will give you basically crappier results thanks to all kinds of unwanted reflections.

12 years 6 months ago #184549 by Gary Trent photography
Well said above

Once recording has stared why not shoot from inside
the sound board as well. (with permission of course).
You may get some great effects with the glass-reflection.
Zoom in for close-cropped detail: ie: mouth & mike,
musician`s hands, etc. etc.

Take advantage of this rare opportunity !

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

12 years 6 months ago #184681 by John37
Depending on what you're shooting, be aware of where the room mics are positioned if you're shooting while recording. Many times, for example, they will set up room mics to capture drums or guitar. The mic might be placed 20 feet away from the drums, which seems like your position wouldn't affect the captured sound. But if you step between the two, you could alter the recorded sound in a big way. Turn off your camera's beep. I ran a recording studio for a few years and was amazed at how many tiny sounds I could hear during playback.... even over thunderous drums!

"The most endangered species? The honest man!"
12 years 6 months ago #184684 by Gary Trent photography
My suggestion : use a zoom lens ............ :cheers:
Don't worry about lighting as you can always "jazz" in PS later.
Natural lighting will be best ..... you think ? ...... :agree:
B&W is good too.

GaryTrent photography (Canada)

Owner of
Art Effects Gallery,
Grand Forks, B.C. Canada

Please visit me on Multiply:
whazit2u.multiply.com/

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024

Using EF lenses on your RF camera body is a no-brainer. With a Canon EF to RF adapter, you can tap into the vast array of EF lenses and save money while filling out your kit.

Jun 26, 2024

Desert photography is much more than pointing your camera at a cactus or sand dune and pressing the shutter button. In this guide, learn some essential tips to elevate the quality of your images!

Jun 25, 2024

The Sony Alpha a7 II has been around for a decade, but even after all these years, it stands up as an excellent option for photographers looking for a high-quality full frame camera.

Jun 25, 2024

It's summertime in the northern hemisphere, and that means long days to explore the world around us. With these summer landscape photography tips, you'll learn a thing or two about improving your photos!

Jun 23, 2024