Old photo restoration

11 years 1 month ago #286099 by Bill Murphy
I hope this isn't a out there question. I have a photo we just found of my great grandfather from early 1900's actually we think the date is 1906. The photo is in poor shape, you can make out most of it, but it's pretty faded. Is there a way to recover this photo in some sort of restoration software or something? If you know of something, please share links or suggestions.

Thanks PT.

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago - 11 years 1 month ago #286103 by hghlndr6
There are tools in Photoshop and even Photoshop Elements that will help you do it. Watch this:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/editing-an...op-gavin-hoey#248816
11 years 1 month ago #286174 by icepics
If you want to have the actual photograph restored - www.filmrescue.com .

Other film labs may do some restoration but I don't know if they'd try to restore photos this old or not.

Sharon
Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #286205 by Baydream
I have done a couple c1900 restorations manually. It is a long and tedious project but well worth it.

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
11 years 1 month ago #286288 by Vahrenkamp

hghlndr6 wrote: There are tools in Photoshop and even Photoshop Elements that will help you do it. Watch this:

www.photographytalk.com/forum/editing-an...op-gavin-hoey#248816

:goodpost: I was going to post the same link. Good tutorial.

Photo Comments
1 week 6 days ago - 1 week 6 days ago #765727 by isabellasophie

Bill Murphy wrote: I hope this isn't a out there question. I have a photo we just found of my great grandfather from early 1900's actually we think the date is 1906. The photo is in poor shape, You can make out most of it, but it's pretty faded. Is there a way to recover this photo using restoration software like AMC Plus or something similar? If you know of something, please share links or suggestions.

Thanks PT.

Yes, there are software tools specifically designed for restoring old and faded photos. Adobe Photoshop and GIMP are popular options that offer powerful tools for this purpose. Additionally, online services like FixThePhoto can provide professional restoration services if you prefer expert assistance.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024

Night street photography is a fun pursuit with opportunities to develop your skills with portraiture, light trails, and architectural photography skills - and your nighttime photography skills, too!

Jul 22, 2024

The Canon EOS R5 Mark II has been unveiled, but it has a hefty price tag. If it’s out of your budget, the original Canon EOS R5 is a fantastic option. Learn more about it in this guide!

Jul 18, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

You need to try unique newborn photography ideas from time to time to keep your inspiration levels up. With the ideas in this guide, you can do just that!

Jul 17, 2024

What is the best landscape lens for photography - a prime or a zoom? The answer is a little murky, as it depends on the specific situation. Learn more about these lenses in this detailed guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Lightning photography is a tricky beast, but with the right tips, tricks, and tools, you can make the most of the next storm that rolls through. Learn some essential techniques in this guide!

Jul 16, 2024

Concert photography is a tricky beast, and presents challenges like fast-moving action, low lighting, and considerations for other concertgoers. Learn how to get better results in this guide!

Jul 07, 2024