What's the catch with Abe's of Maine?

10 years 1 month ago #378746 by Karen Comella
At first it was just shopping for prices on different camera bodies, now I have noticed that many electronics I type in Google usually always shows a noticeably lower price with Abe's of Maine.  These prices are lower than B&H, much lower.  What's the catch, or is this just a marketing tool to get you in the door?  

Has anyone dealt with this company before?  

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #378748 by Screamin Scott
I did many years ago & had no problems (bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 point & shoot)... That said, I haven't used them since though.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #378782 by Jacko
I just did some searches and see what you mean.  I have been buying from Adorama, B&H and Amazon.  I'll be keeping an eye on this thread to see answers.   

Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #378795 by effron
Careful with these guys. First off, they are located in Brooklyn....need I say more?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 1 month ago #378818 by Screamin Scott
Sure are not thinking of someone else ?.... Abe's of Maine in in NJ & has an 8 out of 10 rating on resellerratings.com 

effron wrote: Careful with these guys. First off, they are located in Brooklyn....need I say more?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #378840 by Don Fischer
I though I'd read somewhere they were in Brooklyn. I also read that you should never do business with a store in Brooklyn. Only probleem I ever had was with a Brooklyn store, now out of business.

10 years 4 weeks ago #378850 by effron

Screamin Scott wrote: Sure are not thinking of someone else ?.... Abe's of Maine in in NJ & has an 8 out of 10 rating on resellerratings.com 

effron wrote: Careful with these guys. First off, they are located in Brooklyn....need I say more?

They have a shipping address across the river in NJ, but their store is in Brooklyn. I'm not thinking of anyone else. In short, I ordered a new camera a few years back that was defective (used), they couldn't replace it, (said no stock for three months) and I had to finally solicit the assistance of my state's attorney general for a refund. They hound bad reviews, (I know) with offers and then threats. Also, even if they're in NJ, why say from Maine in title?...........:rolleyes

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #378875 by Happy Snapper
They should have taken care of you from the start.  

Gripped Nikon D810 --- Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 --- Sigma 10-20mm f/4 --- Nikon 50mm f/1.4 --- SB600
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #379001 by Joves
Well I bought my D50 from them many years ago, and had no problem with them at that time. So I would suggest them because of the experience. Then people started saying that they were a ripoff, and unscrupulous, so I stopped recommending them to anyone. Some have said they have cleaned up their act, but after screwing the pooch once, I would never do so again. Since then I have been using the normal online vendors who have a sterling reputation. This is a case of it takes years to earn trust, but only a second to lose it.

10 years 4 weeks ago #379022 by Tim Chiang
When it comes to camera gear, it's Adorama and B&H for me.

Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #379048 by effron

Tim Chiang wrote: When it comes to camera gear, it's Adorama and B&H for me.

Absolutely! For a couple dollars, why mess around?......:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
10 years 4 weeks ago #379191 by Damon
I've bought a camera bag from them, but most of my purchases are done with Adorama or B&H

10 years 3 weeks ago #379317 by Glen Martin

Tim Chiang wrote: When it comes to camera gear, it's Adorama and B&H for me.

Same for me, so +1

Photo Comments
10 years 3 weeks ago #379366 by Karen Comella
Thanks everyone, can't be safe enough these days

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024

Using EF lenses on your RF camera body is a no-brainer. With a Canon EF to RF adapter, you can tap into the vast array of EF lenses and save money while filling out your kit.

Jun 26, 2024

Desert photography is much more than pointing your camera at a cactus or sand dune and pressing the shutter button. In this guide, learn some essential tips to elevate the quality of your images!

Jun 25, 2024

The Sony Alpha a7 II has been around for a decade, but even after all these years, it stands up as an excellent option for photographers looking for a high-quality full frame camera.

Jun 25, 2024

It's summertime in the northern hemisphere, and that means long days to explore the world around us. With these summer landscape photography tips, you'll learn a thing or two about improving your photos!

Jun 23, 2024

What is aspect ratio, and what does it mean for the presentation of your images? Use this beginner photography guide to get all the details!

Jun 20, 2024

Lake photography is a fun type of landscape photography because of all the different compositional options you have. With these tips, get the best possible results!

Jun 19, 2024

The ideal portrait photography location is out there; it's a simple matter of finding it! Using this guide, you can discover the best places for outdoor portraits!

Jun 17, 2024