Peter Lik’s Recipe for Success: Sell Prints. Print Money.

7 years 10 months ago #498824 by Scott Klubeck
Good article from Peter Lik if you are a fan of his work.

"Peter Lik is in awe of himself. When he describes his career as a fine-art photographer, he speaks with the satisfaction of a guy who has performed miracles, at the pace of a bystander who just caught a glimpse of Superman. The words tumble forth in self-exalting, run-on sentences, most of them laced with profanity, all of them in the sunny, chummy accent of his native Australia.“I’m the world’s most famous photographer, most sought-after photographer, most awarded photographer,” he said one recent afternoon, sipping a can of Red Bull in a conference room at Peter Lik USA, a 100,000-square-foot headquarters in Las Vegas devoted solely to the production and sale of Peter Lik photography. “So I said” — and what Mr. Lik said next is an unprintable version of “the heck with it,” and then — “I want to make something special, special, special, special.”That something special was a photograph called “Phantom,” an image of an eerily human-shaped swirl of dust in Antelope Canyon in Arizona. In December, his company announced in a news release that an anonymous collector had spent $6.5 million for “Phantom.” That crushed the previous record, held by Andreas Gursky, whose “Rhein II” fetched $4.3 million at an auction in 2011, and Cindy Sherman, whose “Untitled #96” brought $3.9 million at another auction the same year."

Here is the rest - http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/business/peter-liks-recipe-for-success-sell-prints-print-money.html?_r=1

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #498832 by Zeberk
All I got out of that is to create scarcity to drive demand up.  Did I miss something? 

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #498851 by Ruby Grace
So create demand by limiting the supply chain?  :huh:

Canon EOS 5D Mark II, 17-40mmL, 24-105mmL, 100-400mmL, 300mm f/4L IS, Sigma 12-24mm, 430EX, Extension tubes
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #498890 by One Wish
Not the best representation for us 'Average Joe' photographers.  Mr Lik, has an entire army of marketers who promote him.  Not to mention do his processing work.  

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #498964 by icepics
He sells only thru his own galleries in tourist areas. If he reports a sale like this it's anonymous and no way to verify it. Usually photographers are selling thru galleries, photo agencies, auction houses, etc.

Apparently his photos are not holding their value. To some extent I think that's happened with antiques and collectibles etc. during the years of a bad economy, but when people have sold his photos that they bought at one of his galleries, they seem to be selling for way less than how he priced them - his photos don't do well on the secondary market. It doesn't seem like his photos may have ever had the value that was represented.

Sharon
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #498975 by Karen Comella
Um, I'll just wish 

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #501733 by Scotty
He was the VP of Coca-Cola's marketing team before he started doing his photography business. He knows what he's doing.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #501799 by effron
Save a step, just print money.....:whistle:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The OM System OM-1 Mark II is highly similar to its predecessor, but the updates OM System has included make the Mark II one of the best camera systems for the price point.

Jul 24, 2024

The Sigma DP2 Quattro is a rare breed. It’s a large-sensor point-and-shoot camera with a 29MP sensor and a 30mm f/2.8 fixed lens. The question is, who is this camera for? Let’s find out!

Jul 17, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

No matter who you are and how much (or little) experience you have behind the lens, you’re bound to get in a rut at some point. But with these creative photography tips, you can get out of that rut!

Jul 25, 2024

Portrait photography can be a highly rewarding genre. Of course, to get the best results, you need to employ some key strategies for composition. Get a few such tips in this quick tutorial!

Jul 24, 2024

Wide-angle photography is especially useful when photographing landscapes. But mistakes can be made when shooting with a wide-angle lens. Get a few tips for what not to do in this guide!

Jul 24, 2024

The OM System OM-1 Mark II is highly similar to its predecessor, but the updates OM System has included make the Mark II one of the best camera systems for the price point.

Jul 24, 2024

Abstract photography requires a certain approach to get the best results. In this guide, I share some tips and tricks that will help you envision your abstract images and showcase them in a beautiful way.

Jul 23, 2024

There are plenty of Canon RF zoom lenses to add to your kit. But not all are easy on the pocketbook. So, that begs the question - which budget RF lenses should you buy? Let’s find out!

Jul 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R1 was finally released last week, and the question is - does it live up to the hype? Let’s dive in and explore firsthand what this camera does and doesn’t offer.

Jul 23, 2024

Improving your photography skills takes time, effort, and dedication. But with these unique exercises, you can make the process of becoming a better photographer more fun, too!

Jul 23, 2024