When photographers blame the camera

1 month 2 weeks ago #762856 by Norse Photographer
What do you say to photographers who blame the camera for not getting good photos?  There are two people in our photograph club that are constantly blaming their cameras for not getting "good photos".  One of them has a Nikon Z6 and the other guy has a Panasonic GH6.  Both are very nice cameras.  Just curious, will you tell them to consider the problems are because of them, or just leave it be?  

I'm not close friends with either, but half of me thinks "someone should tell them" and other half of me things It will be perceived as pompous.   

How would you respond to such people?

1 month 2 weeks ago #762869 by TCav
Basic troubleshooting.

Reset the camera, and set EVERYTHING to AUTO. Take some simple, basic photos in good light. If all is well, change one thing, taking some more simple, basic photos in good light. If all is still well, change one other thing, etc., etc., etc.

1 month 2 weeks ago #762878 by CharleyL
From a similar experience, my advice is to leave them alone. They seem like the "know everything" type and nothing you say will be accepted. Let them go spend more and more money on every new camera that comes out. Maybe they will figure it out some day, but not now and not from you.

There are three of that type in my photography club and I watch and listen to them, but offer no help. They are stuck in "transmit", so they can't receive what you or anyone else tells them. They think they know it all, so why should they listen to anyone else. I log it in my brain as "comedy act entertainment", probably never to be remembered again.

Charley

1 month 1 week ago #762912 by KENT MELTON
Some people just don’t get it and are a good example of don’t feed the animals

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762926 by Otto F
People like that are delusional and will always point the finger elsewhere.   

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #762965 by Pete Franko
Sounds a lot like my brother.  Seriously.  Whats funny is a number of years ago, i did try to speak with him about certain fundamentals and it was in one ear and out the other.   He's also one of those people that when a new camera comes to market, he has to be the first to get it.  So fast forward, he has had a couple new cameras and to this day, I hear how his camera screws up, and why something about his photo is messed up. :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #763044 by Carlos
My camera didn't take good photos of the eclipse yesterday.  Oh wait, I wasn't even near it. :rofl:

(2) Canon 7D, Canon 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS, 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM, 50mm f/1.4 USM, 85mm f/1.8 USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6
Photo Comments
1 month 1 week ago #763076 by Dana Leeson
So is that like "the dog ate my homework" when we were kids?  :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 6 days ago #763181 by Ira Weber
These are also the same people who blame others and circumstances for their shortcomings in life.  I'm pretty sure there is a clinical term that describes this mental shortcoming.  

Photo Comments
1 month 6 days ago #763198 by Conner
OMG we are talking about my sister here! With family, she is tolerated and you let it go in one ear and out the other.  She will never change, so we don't even attempt. 

Photo Comments
1 month 3 days ago #763283 by Carry
But it IS the cameras fault :rofl:

Photo Comments
1 month 15 hours ago #763408 by KenMan
Honestly, this was me when I first got started.  I had people tell me, it wasn’t the camera, it was my understanding of photography.  I didn’t listen.  It was nearly 2 years before I would finally wake up.  Thankfully now, I’m doing what I can to always make my work better, and how that happens is from reading, watching and knowing there is always something new to learn.  

Photo Comments
4 weeks 1 day ago #763429 by EOS Man
Narcissist have some serious mental problems.  What these people need is therapist help.  

5D Mark II | 50mm f/1.4 EX | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 430EX
Photo Comments
1 week 5 days ago #763899 by Norse Photographer
OK, gotcha, so I did what most would have done. Ha ha ha

1 week 4 days ago #763900 by Esseff
It could be the cameras (or lenses). Were they inspected and/or tried by others? Maybe something worth checking before blaming it all on the users. Just saying.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024

To fill the frame means to expand the footprint of the subject in your shot. Get in close, zoom in, crop the image, or use other techniques to bring the subject to the forefront.

May 06, 2024