Hot shoe and cold shoe

13 years 4 months ago #31111 by Hawkins
Another term that I don't see how they came up with. Why not just call the cold shoe the female shoe, and the hot shoe the male shoe.

LOL who comes up with this stuff?

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #31115 by Screamin Scott
A Hot shoe will trigger an external flash on the camera. A cold shoe has no electrical contacts & hence, will not trigger a flash unit sitting atop of it. Older cameras had "X" sync ports where a "pc" cord was plugged in so as to trigger a flash sitting in a "cold" shoe (one end plugged into the camera & the other end into the flash unit). Cold shoes & pc ports are rarely found on any cameras anymore.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #31121 by Yasko
what about the old soft shoe?
:P

13 years 4 months ago #31124 by Baydream
Lawrence Welk would say, "That's a really good shoe."

Shoot, learn and share. It will make you a better photographer.
fineartamerica.com/profiles/john-g-schickler.html?tab=artwork

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #31155 by Rob pix4u2
LOL I still have a camera with a cold shoe and a pc cord-KONICA AUTOREFLEX circa 1966

Remember to engage brain before putting mouth in gear
Rob Huelsman Sr.
My Facebook www.facebook.com/ImaginACTIONPhotography

13 years 4 months ago - 13 years 4 months ago #31178 by Screamin Scott
I've got my old TLR's & rangefinders with cold shoes & my Nikkormat FT with no shoe...:slapface:

( my Konica is the Autoreflex T3 which has a hot shoe (& great glass ))

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #31182 by Stealthy Ninja
Shoo shoe?
13 years 4 months ago #31239 by effron

Baydream wrote: Lawrence Welk would say, "That's a really good shoe."

Uh, you mean Ed Sullivan?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 4 months ago #31245 by crystal
How about... "Sneaker"
13 years 4 months ago #31247 by chasrich
A snow shoe would be a cold shoe right?

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
13 years 4 months ago #31354 by Yasko
Get chinese food on your camera, you'll end up with moo-shoe

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024

Using EF lenses on your RF camera body is a no-brainer. With a Canon EF to RF adapter, you can tap into the vast array of EF lenses and save money while filling out your kit.

Jun 26, 2024

Desert photography is much more than pointing your camera at a cactus or sand dune and pressing the shutter button. In this guide, learn some essential tips to elevate the quality of your images!

Jun 25, 2024

The Sony Alpha a7 II has been around for a decade, but even after all these years, it stands up as an excellent option for photographers looking for a high-quality full frame camera.

Jun 25, 2024

It's summertime in the northern hemisphere, and that means long days to explore the world around us. With these summer landscape photography tips, you'll learn a thing or two about improving your photos!

Jun 23, 2024

What is aspect ratio, and what does it mean for the presentation of your images? Use this beginner photography guide to get all the details!

Jun 20, 2024

Lake photography is a fun type of landscape photography because of all the different compositional options you have. With these tips, get the best possible results!

Jun 19, 2024