Disposable cameras on tables of wedding. Bad idea for professional photographer?

11 years 5 months ago #267484 by Athena
I have a 150 guest wedding coming up in 3 weeks and was just notified yesterday that there would be disposable cameras on the tables for the guest to interact with the photo taking activities. At first I thought 'how fun', and now I'm wondering if I'm going to be fighting for my good shots because I have 50 boozed up guest trying to play 'photographer' who are now in my shot?

Have you shot a wedding like this and did you have any problems with guest getting in the way?

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #267488 by Darrell
I have found that it is a total non issue for the photographer, there have always been dozen's of people at weddings with cameras.
The cameras at each table have been popular for 10+ years and are just fun for snap shots and etc. There will be more shots of Uncle Bill eating than of the bride and groom
No need to worry..... :beerbang: :beerbang:

You will not be judged as a photographer by the pictures you take, but by the pictures you show.
11 years 5 months ago #267498 by internetchick
A lot of people will likely not even use them.

11 years 5 months ago #267500 by Athena
I've seen camera's at weddings before, this one the bride and groom have a prize contest going on for the person who captures the best shot. So with this cash incentive, I was concerned about this getting out of control for me. I guess we'll see how that works.

:thx:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #267507 by Joves

Athena wrote: I've seen camera's at weddings before, this one the bride and groom have a prize contest going on for the person who captures the best shot. So with this cash incentive, I was concerned about this getting out of control for me. I guess we'll see how that works.

:thx:

My suggestion is you talk to the bride, and request that she attach a note at the tables reminding them to not be in the way of you doing your work. At the reception I would not worry about it too much, but for the ceremony that is a totally different matter. At receptions you will be trying to catch maybe cake cutting, after that it is all candid work, which is highly hit or miss anyway. But I would just ask that she let guest know that for the formal part that you be allowed to do your thing, then they can have at it. Explain the possibility that if people are blcoking you that you may not get the shots you need to make her happy.

11 years 5 months ago #267519 by garyrhook
The cameras aren't there to take pictures of the B&G, they're available for the guests to take shots of each other. As long as you get the cake cutting, and the first dance *B&G, bride and dad, groom and mom) the rest is not going to be problem. Please remember that those aren't the only cameras that will be at the reception; they will likely be of no impact whatsoever to your work.

As for the ceremony itself, these cameras won't be in the guests hands, and the guests won't be walking around. You will. And guests that want their own shots of the bride are going to take them on their phone or P&S; this should be no impact on you whatsoever.

You're not the first pro 'tog in this situation (per the above) but I don't think I've ever heard anyone report good things from those cameras. Pretty sure you have little to worry about.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #267522 by McBeth Photography

garyrhook wrote: The cameras aren't there to take pictures of the B&G, they're available for the guests to take shots of each other. As long as you get the cake cutting, and the first dance *B&G, bride and dad, groom and mom) the rest is not going to be problem. Please remember that those aren't the only cameras that will be at the reception; they will likely be of no impact whatsoever to your work.

As for the ceremony itself, these cameras won't be in the guests hands, and the guests won't be walking around. You will. And guests that want their own shots of the bride are going to take them on their phone or P&S; this should be no impact on you whatsoever.

You're not the first pro 'tog in this situation (per the above) but I don't think I've ever heard anyone report good things from those cameras. Pretty sure you have little to worry about.

:agree: :goodpost:

It is what it is.
11 years 5 months ago #267634 by John Landolfi
:agree: Ask the B&G to give you authority to ask people to step out of shots you want to take, and to notify the guests that you are the official photographer, and have precedence over other shooters. You'll find that the guests will be anxious to cooperate. If you are working with an assistant, you can help each other clear the shots you want to take. Corteous, but firm. :cheers:

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago - 11 years 5 months ago #267796 by Henry Peach
I see it all the time. It's never been a problem. Everyone already has a camera, and Instagram has them enthralled. Disposable cameras on the tables won't change a thing. I wouldn't say a thing to the B & G about it.
11 years 5 months ago #267915 by One Wish

internetchick wrote: A lot of people will likely not even use them.

:agree: most will play around with them for a few shots, and quickly get distracted with the free drinks and dancing.

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #267920 by Henry Peach

One Wish wrote:

internetchick wrote: A lot of people will likely not even use them.

:agree: most will play around with them for a few shots, and quickly get distracted with the free drinks and dancing.

This has been my experience. People snap a few pics of the people they are eating with, and then the cameras just sit there until the kids grab them, and take 24 photos of a piece of cake or their butt. More than once I've felt sorry for the B & G, and picked them up and taken a few shots myself.
11 years 5 months ago #268142 by Farestad

garyrhook wrote: The cameras aren't there to take pictures of the B&G, they're available for the guests to take shots of each other. As long as you get the cake cutting, and the first dance *B&G, bride and dad, groom and mom) the rest is not going to be problem. Please remember that those aren't the only cameras that will be at the reception; they will likely be of no impact whatsoever to your work.

:agree:

EF 50mm f/1.4
EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
EF 100mm f/2
EF 70-200mm f/4
EF 18-55mm
EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #269430 by J Hemingway
Guest usually always get board with these cameras pretty quick

Photo Comments
11 years 5 months ago #269510 by Stealthy Ninja

J Hemingway wrote: Guest usually always get board with these cameras pretty quick

They also get bored.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024

Using EF lenses on your RF camera body is a no-brainer. With a Canon EF to RF adapter, you can tap into the vast array of EF lenses and save money while filling out your kit.

Jun 26, 2024

Desert photography is much more than pointing your camera at a cactus or sand dune and pressing the shutter button. In this guide, learn some essential tips to elevate the quality of your images!

Jun 25, 2024

The Sony Alpha a7 II has been around for a decade, but even after all these years, it stands up as an excellent option for photographers looking for a high-quality full frame camera.

Jun 25, 2024

It's summertime in the northern hemisphere, and that means long days to explore the world around us. With these summer landscape photography tips, you'll learn a thing or two about improving your photos!

Jun 23, 2024