Beach Camera vs Adorama

7 years 8 months ago #504221 by Patty Ganahl
Gear is gear right?  As long as you buy from retailer in U.S.  the warranty is the same correct?  Some photographer I ran into was trying to tell me that retailers other than B&H and Adorama sell international products, which is why you can sometimes find prices less.  

I thought if they store is in the U.S., you automatically get the U.S. warranty?

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504223 by effron
Be observant, US sellers also sell gray market gear...Adorama does, B&H does, etc...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504224 by Patty Ganahl
Where are you seeing this?  For example with B&H.

I want to see if it's clear.   

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504252 by HelenOster
No, not all gear purchased from a store in the US comes with a US warranty. Check the listing carefully for the words 'direct import' or 'grey market'. Also check that somewhere in the listing it actually states US Warranty.
Adorama sells direct import lenses, but not cameras, for example:  www.adorama.com/nk6004afvr.html

I wrote info for customers which is now on our website; I hope it's OK to post this here (and I hope it's helpful to you to understand what it means if you buy grey/direct import).What is the Grey Market?"Grey Market," also known as "direct import," are products imported directly into the U.S., and not through the manufacturer's authorized agent/distributor.Are "Grey Market" products legally imported?Yes, it is perfectly legal to directly import these products and sell them in the U.S.What are the advantages of "Grey Market" goods?There is no factory-authorized middleman involved in the import of these products, so the costs are lower. As a result, the customer pays less. In addition, many items that are in short supply or are not imported at all by the manufacturer's authorized distributors, are available in the "Grey Market."Are there any disadvantages of "Grey Market" goods?Because there is no factory-authorized middleman, there is no manufacturer's warranty. However, "Grey Market" products purchased from Adorama are warrantied by Adorama Camera and are returned to Adorama Camera for any warranty repair.Are there product differences in "Grey Market" goods?There is no difference in the actual products. In most cases, they are manufactured in the same place by the same people and with the same materials. Occasionally, manufacturers will give them a different name. For example, the Olympus USA Digital Stylus Cameras are called Olympus MJU Cameras in Europe.What type of warranty does Adorama offer on "Grey Market" goods?On "Grey Market" products purchased from Adorama, we offer the same warranty as the U.S. warrantied products carry, for a period of one year. The only difference is that the product would need to be shipped to Adorama for warranty service.Do I need a warranty certificate for repairs on "Grey Market" goods?No, your Adorama invoice is all you need to get warranty service on "Grey Market" products.What happens after the warranty expires?Just like products with an expired manufacturers' warranty, you can take the product to any convenient repair shop and pay for the repair.Is there "Grey Market" film?Yes, we carry Kodak film in three versions:
  • U.S. - made in the U.S. for domestic distribution
  • U.S. for export - made in the U.S. for worldwide distribution
  • Grey Market - imported from other countries
Fuji, Ilford and Agfa films are made outside the U.S. In this case, Grey Market means how it came to be imported. The products are the same, but distribution and control determine the difference between U.S. and Grey Market. The main issue with film has always been assurance that it was handled and stored properly during transport to protect its emulsion. For this reason many professionals prefer U.S. film. However, in our experience, we've very rarely encountered any emulsion problems with Grey Market film.Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
[email protected]

Helen Oster
[email protected]

7 years 8 months ago #504255 by Patty Ganahl
WOW, ok that's well described.  Thank you Helen.  

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504256 by HelenOster
I'm sorry; in the process of copying & pasting it came out very jumbled - but if you go to the link you'll able to read it clearly.

BTW, the definition above isn't peculiar to Adorama; and any retailer worth dealing with will offer you their own warranty on grey/direct import.

If they don't, then run, run away!

Helen

Helen Oster
[email protected]

7 years 8 months ago #504259 by Patty Ganahl
Ok, thanks again Helen

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504266 by Connie K Photos
Doesn't Buydig own Beach camera? 

Photo Comments
7 years 8 months ago #504346 by Ben Vanderbilt
Good information, so if you buy something used, is there a way to tell if grey market?

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #504367 by effron

Connie K Photos wrote: Doesn't Buydig own Beach camera? 

In any event, neither of these can compare to Adorama...Helen just proved a big reason why....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: HelenOster
7 years 7 months ago #504373 by Screamin Scott
It really doesn't matter as warranties aren't transferable anyway... Plus the cameras are all manufactured at the same location,, no matter what market they are destined for.

Ben Vanderbilt wrote: Good information, so if you buy something used, is there a way to tell if grey market?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #504446 by Frank The Tank
Yes, but the cameras sold overseas don't have U.S. warranty.  True, Adorama does have great service.

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #504522 by One Wish
Not true, they have warranties in their respected countries.  

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #504708 by Ian Stone
Call up Focus camera :thumbsup:

Another good option

Photo Comments
7 years 7 months ago #504841 by Pettigrew
Beach is good, however my favorites are B&H, Adorama, Samy's, Hunts and Focus Camera

Canon EOS 7D SLR | XT W/18-55 Kit Lens | Canon 50mm 1.8 | Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 | Canon 28-105mm | Canon 75-300mm | Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro | Canon 100-400
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

The Fujifilm X-H2s is Fuji’s flagship hybrid APS-C mirrorless camera. It launched in the summer of 2022 and has been impressing photographers and videographers alike ever since!

Jun 17, 2024

The Sony a9 III is a powerhouse professional-grade camera. The question is, should it be the next item in your camera bag? Find out if it’s worth the money in this comprehensive review!

Jun 09, 2024

The Hasselblad 907X 50C certainly isn’t the camera for everyone. However, this medium-format system is ideal for many professional photographers (and videographers!)

Jun 04, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Growing plants takes a ton of time and patience, but with these new timelapses, you can see plants of all kinds grown in quick order!

Jul 03, 2024

The Canon EOS M ecosystem is full of lightweight, compact mirrorless cameras that offer a more affordable option than Canon’s EOS R family of cameras. Which EOS M camera is right for you?

Jul 01, 2024

I’ve been testing the Vanguard VEO 5 264CB-160S for several weeks now, and I have to say that my first impressions are nothing but good. Vanguard has knocked it out of the park yet again!

Jul 01, 2024

Working as a professional photographer can be a creatively fulfilling and financially lucrative career.

Jun 27, 2024

Using EF lenses on your RF camera body is a no-brainer. With a Canon EF to RF adapter, you can tap into the vast array of EF lenses and save money while filling out your kit.

Jun 26, 2024

Desert photography is much more than pointing your camera at a cactus or sand dune and pressing the shutter button. In this guide, learn some essential tips to elevate the quality of your images!

Jun 25, 2024

The Sony Alpha a7 II has been around for a decade, but even after all these years, it stands up as an excellent option for photographers looking for a high-quality full frame camera.

Jun 25, 2024

It's summertime in the northern hemisphere, and that means long days to explore the world around us. With these summer landscape photography tips, you'll learn a thing or two about improving your photos!

Jun 23, 2024