Cropping - Best Workflow Between LR and PS

9 years 3 months ago #426888 by drfarro
I tend to work by doing most photo editing in LR and then some fine tuning sometimes in PS.  The issue I have run across is that once I have cropped a photo in LR, then edited it in PS, the photo can no longer be uncropped with either program.  Is this correct?  Other than cropping at the very end of my workflow, is there any other way to handle this?  

Thanks, 
Denise

9 years 3 months ago #426993 by garyrhook
When you move from LR to PS, LR renders the image, crop included, and hands the results to PS. When done, PS hands that back to LR, so all of your edits have been applied. Including your intermediate crop.

Solution: don't crop until the very end. I do everything I can in LR, except cropping and vignetting, move to PS, then, back in LR, working on the PSD, I might make some tweaks to levels, crop and add some vignette. One trip, one pass for each.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #433859 by phototrims
Why not you crop with PS first Drfarro ?

9 years 1 month ago #433963 by drfarro
Phototrims - Once you crop in PS, you can't really uncrop without disrupting all of the edits you may have made.  The cropping flexibility in LightRoom is really nice, but you loose it once you move into Photoshop.

Having to crop at the very end seems counterintuitive to me. 

9 years 1 month ago #434007 by phototrims

drfarro wrote: Phototrims - Once you crop in PS, you can't really uncrop without disrupting all of the edits you may have made.  The cropping flexibility in LightRoom is really nice, but you loose it once you move into Photoshop.

Yeah !! that's the fact.

9 years 1 month ago #434016 by Hassner
I do not understand the urge to uncrop an image.
I crop more than 90% of my images in camera, so I do very few in post.
I have a rather set way of processing and hardly ever go back on any of my steps anymore.

This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #434035 by drfarro
Hmm, I approach my images differently, more like the way I approach a drawing or painting, adding and subtracting, working the image as a whole from beginning to end.  It's very interesting and helpful to hear how others work.

9 years 1 month ago #434125 by garyrhook
Given the different aspect ratios for prints of various sizes, I've learned to shoot for margin. That way, I can crop to whatever is needed later on.  I've also discovered that what I might think at one point may change later on.

I crop at the end to allow the maximum flexibility.

Photo Comments
9 years 1 month ago #434135 by hghlndr6
:agree:

Exactly!  I do the same, for all the same reasons.
9 years 1 month ago #434152 by JeremyS

drfarro wrote: Phototrims - Once you crop in PS, you can't really uncrop without disrupting all of the edits you may have made.  The cropping flexibility in LightRoom is really nice, but you loose it once you move into Photoshop.

I am struggling to understand how cropping disrupts other edits. I dont see my contrast getting boosted when i crop my photo o.0

9 years 1 month ago #435299 by tganiats
garyrhook wrote

Given the different aspect ratios for prints of various sizes, I've learned to shoot for margin. That way, I can crop to whatever is needed later on.  I've also discovered that what I might think at one point may change later on.

I crop at the end to allow the maximum flexibility.

I agree.  Plus, depending on the subject, I may want to shoot a bit wide and take the time to compose later, otherwise if I take the time to crop at the time I might miss the shot.  However, even with a landscape, oftentimes the image I see when on location is not as good as the (cropped) image I see later on the computer screen.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

The Fujifilm XT5 is a 40MP mirrorless camera capable of 6.2K video at 30p. With those specs, it’s an ideal choice for photographers needing a camera to pull double duty for imaging and video.

Apr 25, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

In this guide to the bokeh effect, you’ll learn what bokeh is and the factors involved in creating it. You’ll also explore some beautiful example images to spark your creativity with bokeh!

May 16, 2024

Upgrade your kit in 2024 with the best intermediate camera on the market! The question is, what camera fits the bill? We’ve got three top options for you to choose from in this buyer’s guide.

May 15, 2024

The best photography jobs right now are a mix of tried-and-true gigs like wedding photography and new jobs highlighting AI’s capabilities, travel, and videography.

May 15, 2024

The Olympus Pen E-P7 is an affordable micro four thirds mirrorless camera with 4K video capabilities, a 20.3MP sensor, and 121 focus points, making it a solid entry-level camera for beginners.

May 13, 2024

Starting a photography business is one thing; sustaining your business over a long period of time is another. Use the tips in this professional photography guide to build something with longevity!

May 13, 2024

The Panasonic G9 II is a 25.2-megapixel micro four thirds camera with numerous features that make it punch out of its weight class, like 779 AF points, 5.8K video, and weather sealing.

May 10, 2024

Cinematic photography is an interesting genre that combines photographic and videographic skills along with effective storytelling techniques. The result? Highly impactful images!

May 09, 2024

Newborn photography requires skill, the right gear, and a lot of patience. This beginner’s guide discusses critical topics that will help you be more prepared for before, during, and after the shoot.

May 08, 2024